Director of Data
Smile is the largest provider of rewards programs in the world. We reward tens of millions of people every year, and power programs for tens of thousands of businesses around the world.
We’re looking for a talented Director of Data to help us better understand our users and build the most effective rewards programs possible. You’ll be reporting directly to the CEO and supporting all business functions at Smile.
You’ll jump right in to analyze our current data needs and deliver quick solutions, working closely with other functional groups to support business growth. You’ll set the direction and strategy for the architecture and future use of data at Smile, and guide the data engineering efforts to build it. You will work closely with our Recruiter to find and hire excellent talent to build out the Data team at Smile!
If you are data-obsessed, excited about deriving insights from data, and motivated by having an impact on tens of thousands of businesses around the world, we want to hear from you!
- Design and drive the vision and strategy for data collection and use at Smile.io
- Work with the leaders of all functions (marketing, finance, sales, client success & product) to determine the data and business intelligence requirements of our business
- Build a high performing data team to deliver on the needs identified
- Design, analyze, and interpret the results of experiments to evaluate new features, improve reward programs, inform product variants, and more
- Apply statistical and econometric models on large datasets to:
- measure results and outcomes
- infer causal impact and attribution
- predict the future performance of users or product
- Identify the highest-impact questions that can be answered with our current data sources
- Build our “next generation” data collection strategy to expand the set of high-impact questions we can answer as a team
- Build a team to deliver on the outcomes & strategy you define
Characteristics we're looking for (not all required):
- You possess the ability to communicate results clearly and a focus on driving impact to both our technical & non-technical teams - you like to teach what you know!
- You know how to identify the right sources of data, move it around, transform it and implement your ideas through programming/statistical languages like R or Python and SQL
- You have prior experience with data-distributed tools (Scalding, Hadoop, Pig, etc)
- You get excited by large data sets and complex or unstructured problems
- You have a strong business sense, in terms of high-volume products & data environments
- You’ve shown that you can create & execute on a data strategy
- 5+ years experience building, working with and analyzing large data sets to solve problems, including having built data infrastructures
- A PhD/MS/BS in a quantitative field (e.g., Economics, Statistics, Sciences, Engineering, CS), or comparable experience
In addition to your resume, your application should include:
- Your Github profile, if applicable
- A description of the most interesting data analysis you’ve done, its key findings and impact, or something else that we can have a conversation about!
What’s it like to work at Smile.io?
We are a team of smart self-starters who build efficient and unique solutions to problems. You’ll be working with some amazing talent and you'll constantly be pushed to challenge yourself and improve your skills. This starts in the interview process, where you’ll be asked to show us your skills in real-time. It’s not an easy process, but we think you’ll find it rewarding and a great preview to what working here is really like.
As a team, we’re driven by these core values:
- Be Humble - think of the team before thinking of yourself. We have no room for massive egos.
- Be Hungry - set hard goals, ask lots of questions and learn every day.
- Be Human - show empathy towards others, consider the impact of your decisions on other teams.
We collaborate on everything. Our communication tools and our space are designed with this in mind - from physical areas to connect in comfort to Slack channels of all sorts, we enable you to reach out to those around you to make sure you have the information you need to make great decisions.
We know that Smile.io as a business is in constant evolution - the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our growth, so we talk openly about our career goals, hopes & dreams. With such a diverse team of people, we know we can offer you the mentorship, tools and encouragement you need to grow.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful business. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.